A Detailed Review of COVID-19 Symptoms


The novel coronavirus is a contagious and unpredictable respiratory illness that continues to spread worldwide. People are not naturally immune to this virus, and there is no reason to believe anybody has antibodies that would normally protect them unless they recently had the virus. It is highly important to know the symptoms of the novel virus and when to contact your doctor or report your symptoms to urgent care.



Symptoms may appear between 2-14 days after there has been exposure to the virus with a new John Hopkins study indicating the average incubation period of 5.1 days. Individuals who suspect that they have been exposed to the virus are therefore told to self-quarantine through the duration of this period.

Listed below are some of the most common symptoms of COVID-19 according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. If you notice any of these symptoms after relevant exposure, call ahead before heading to a medical facility to reduce the risk of infecting others.

Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
Nausea or vomiting
Muscle pain or body aches
Sore throat
Sudden loss of taste or smell
Congestion or runny nose
Repeated shaking with chills

According to the University of Chicago, only about 20% of people who contract the novel coronavirus need to be hospitalized. The other 80% experience symptoms of a bad cold or flu and recover at home in about a week. People can be affected in different ways by this virus especially those with underlying medical conditions, but even healthy people can get severely ill. People who are more vulnerable to any kind of infection, because of their age or chronic health conditions, are more at risk for getting a severe case of COVID-19.




Symptoms are known to be a side effect of fighting off the infection and it takes little time for the immune system to rally that defense, therefore some cases can be considered pre-symptomatic rather than asymptomatic. It can begin with a few symptoms or none at all and, after a few days, the symptoms may worsen without warning. According to The Washington Post, some additional signs and indicators that may appear include:

  • Brain: Strokes from blood clots or neurological issues

  • Eyes: Pinkeye

  • Nose: Loss of smell and taste (anosmia)

  • Blood: Unexpected blood clotting and attacks on the lining of blood vessels

  • Gastro­intestinal system: Vomiting and diarrhea

  • Lungs: Clogs and inflames alveoli (air sacs) and causes difficulty breathing, pulmonary embolism from breakaway blood clots, and micro-clots

  • Heart: Weakens heart muscle, causes dangerous arrhythmias, and small clots may raise the risk of heart attacks

  • Kidneys: Damage structures that filter waste from the blood which results in patients requiring dialysis

  • Skin: “COVID toes” or fingers are when a purple rash forms on the skin from the attack on blood vessels

  • Immune system: Widespread impact, including an overactive immune response that attacks healthy tissue




Although most people with COVID-19 have mild to moderate symptoms, COVID-19 can cause severe medical complications and even lead to death in some people. If you are caring for an elderly or sick person, make sure to have their health information on hand in case of exposure to the virus. According to Mayo Clinic, some emergency warning signs of the virus include:

Trouble breathing
Persistent pain or pressure in the chest
New confusion or inability to arouse
Bluish lips or face

There are many coronavirus related symptoms that vary from an individual to another and can cause a different reaction in people based on underlying medical conditions. These warning signs can create severe complications while treating patients and need to be reported immediately.


Visit Global Travel Plus’s dedicated COVID-19 webpage or Mobile App for more resources, news, travel updates, and articles related to COVID-19.

Posted: 7/10/2020 9:00:00 AM